To colonise quickly you’re going to need to move the following units in a province adjacent to the one you want to start colonising in.
You will need:
- 1x Freeman/Citizen/Tribesman of your religion and culture
- 9x Slaves of your religion and culture
- 70 Civic power (roughly) per province you want to colonise
Normally when you colonise, the city you used gets a debuff that prevents it from being used to colonise again for a period of time. However we can circumvent this by moving enough people to allow the newly colonised province the ability to colonise. This lets us skip the time limit entirely and we can snake a line of new provinces into our empire. The reason we use 9 slaves is because they only cost 5 civic power to move, where as every other pop type costs 20 civic power.
Here’s a step by step guide.
1) Move the 1 freeman and 9 slaves into a province you own next to the one you want to colonise
2) Colonise the province using the freeman
3) Move the slaves into the new province
4) Colonise the next province
5) Repeat steps 3 and 2 until you run out of land or civic power
Try to snake your expansion in a way that you don’t have to backtrace your slaves at all. See below.